Triple Clicks

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Preparing For Shopping Trip (Phase 2)

Time to make the grocery list. The sales ad around here come out on Wednesday, so on shopping weeks I'm checking ads Wednesday morning as kids allow and making my list.  The older ones are used to it, Grace is not very happy right now despite having a full tummy and dry diaper. 

I subscribe to get emails from the grocery stores I shop at, this gives me the link to the ads easily available along with the digital ads and special savings set out by the particular store in the chain.

I have added a few stores to my routine this month. Dollar Tree is getting thrown back in the loop as I stopped going to them for awhile because I was getting dollar items from our store (Salem Dollar), we are strictly online now except for the few locals who still buy from us.  I'll stop there first and get what deals I can. Shopko is added for an extra, but it is on the list because the sale is this weekend and I will be in town. We received their sale magazine and found a toy bin organizer I have been wanting on closeout. $29.99 for a normally $100 item as long as supplies last. Yeah, we're getting it. 

I was a little excited as I glanced through my email as I had extra ads from two stores that they are having a four day sale, usually means I can fit more groceries in... but the sales weren't as good this time. Most of my list is normally done at Sam's Club-so you won't see that until I do my post on my spending on my trip. This post is just the sales I found that will help us. 

When I look at the ads I have my spreadsheet up that has a place for each store. Under each store I have the heading of: item, unit, price, how long the sale lasts and the total. On the same spreadsheet file I have a separate page for the final list. This page also has a place for each store, price of one item, total items needed, total price for the item, and running total of the store. My budget is $300 MAX for groceries and paper goods needed for the month. I do try to go lower as we spend about $50 through the month on eggs and OJ, but that's not always possible.

I make a note of anything in the ad that we might be able to buy, whether it's on my list or not. 

Sunshine Food Stores 

  • Whole Turkey $.99 per pound
  • Digiornio 12 inch pizza $3.99
  • Cantaloupe $0.69 per lb
  • Country Crock Soft Butter 45 oz $2.99
  • Crystal Farm Cream Cheese 8 oz $1.19
  • Land O Lakes Cottage Cheese 16 oz $1.99
  • Chicken Drumsticks $.89 per lb
  • Creamette Pasta 10/ $10


Fareway Food Stores

  • Folgers Coffee 34 oz $5.99
  • Ground Beef $2.99 per pound
  • Leaf Lettuce $.99 


Hy-Vee

  • Hy-Vee Vanilla Ice Cream 1.75 quart square $.99
  • Brown Sugar or Powdered Sugar 2 lb $.99
  • Ground Beef 1 lb chubs $.99
  • Oscar Meyer Lunchables $1.00
  • Hy-Vee canned Pineapple 15 oz $.99
  • Red Bell Peppers $.99
  • Midwest Country Fare Cat Food 16 lb $8.49

Now that I've collected sale prices, I make my final list by store.  I will tweak my meal plan if my list needs changed to fit my budget. I have already gone through my list and marked off what I have in the cupboard. Most of this is done on the computer then the final list will go on paper so I can take it to the store.


Personally, I don't use coupons much because I have found store brands to be cheaper even after the coupon. The few things we do buy name brand, I snag coupons when I see them. 

Hy-Vee does have fuel saver items-you sign up at the customer service desk and they scan your card to load any savings on to scan at the gas pump. With that card they also have digital coupons. Sometimes we use it, sometime we don't. But I don't shop by the fuel saver ad because most of what's there is name brand. 

Happy ad hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment