Triple Clicks

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Homemade Taquitos

Years ago Taco Johns came out with an awesome (what I'm assuming) Tex-Mex food. Taquitos. Oh my goodness those things were yummy. :D

I fed them to my youngest when she was little, the perfect taco food for a toddler once they cool off. 

So since i bought corn tortillas for the littles when we have taco night, i decided to use some leftover taco meat and some refried beans and make my own. 

I looked and looked for a recipe, and every recipe I found had shredded steak meat. I can't afford steak, let alone steak to just shred and use in other meals. So I used other ingredients. 

I got about 3 cups of coconut oil going in a small pan for frying, mixed a can of refried beans and about a cup of leftover taco meat. In hindsight, I should have heated them, but I didn't. 

Once the coconut oil started bubbling, I started warming up corn tortillas on another burner. I have a gas stove, so I just put them straight on the burner until they got bubbly. Getting them warm helps them not to break. I scooped a little of my filling into the tortilla, rolled and held it together with a toothpick. 

You want to do this in batches of two, they keep each other together. the instructions I found said this, but I didn't listen-I should have. Put the ends so they face each other and run a couple toothpicks through. (Sorry, I completely forgot to take pictures until the end.)

You fry until the shells are hard. Put on a paper towel to drain the oil and done. It only took about 20 minutes to fry up about 2 dozen. If I wasn't avoiding cheese, I would have melted some cheese to dip. Salsa or guacamole would work great, too. 

The kids didn't much like them, but they are pretty good, and easy to eat with a grumpy baby (which I have right now). 

No comments:

Post a Comment