Triple Clicks

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Apples!

My sister has an apple tree. Yummy yummy. She shared apples with us last time we were down. As soon as we got home, I cut up a bunch of the apples and froze 3 quarts worth, I have one more quart in the fridge (I have plans for those) and I baked apple crisp with the last. The kids are slowly working on what is left and I go through them everyday and cut up what is getting bruises.  


The apple crisp recipe I used came straight from a Betty Crocker cook book and can be used with any fruit you have on hand. 

5 cup sliced apples (the recipe says to peel them, but I left the peel on)
2-4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup regular rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, ginger or cinnamon
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped nuts or coconut

Thaw fruit if frozen. Do not drain. Place in a 2 quart square baking dish. Stir in the granulated sugar (I left this step out and it tasted just fine). 


For topping, in a medium bowl combine the oats, brown sugar, flour and nutmeg. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the nuts. Sprinkle topping over fruit. 


Bake in a 375 oven for 30-35 minutes (I should have given it five more minutes as the apples weren't quite done).  Or until fruit is teder and topping is golden. If desired, serve warm with ice cream. 



It's apple season! Check in your local area to find an orchard or a friend with too many apples, I know there's an orchard around Sioux Falls where you can pick your own for so much (but I've never been, so don't know details). 

No comments:

Post a Comment