Triple Clicks

Monday, October 27, 2014

Homemade Crunchy Granola Bars

I know, I still haven't put on my grocery savings from last week.. To say it's been crazy around here, is an understatement.  Friday the van decided it wasn't going to work right and so hubby stayed home from work. Saturday we had to back to the city.. Sunday was church and some baking... And now we are to Monday already, some popcorn chicken is cooling and freezing, bread is rising, coconut oil is getting soft to make cookies (ok..it will in a bit when I'm done here because I just remember it OOPS).  

I spent $350, but we did get some extras here and there. 

One of the things my hubby wanted to try for snacks was homemade granola bars, we can get them in bulk at Sam's for a good price.. but they have additives and since it's something we KNEW I could make, we decided to go from scratch.  I found a recipe on Pinterest and went to town. :) Fairly simply, just a little time consuming. 

I did alter it a litte, but I imagine you could make just about any flavor you wanted to using this as a base. 

Ingredients: 
7 cups old fashioned rolled oats 
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup packed brown sugar

Preheat oven  to 375. 
Line a 18*13 inch rimmed baking pan with aluminum foil. 

Combine oats, oil and salt in a large bowl and mix until the oats are evenly coated. Transfer the mixture to the baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Bake, stirring every 10 minutes, until pale gold about 20-25 minutes. Remove the oats and lower oven temp to 300. Leave the foil on the pan, you'll need it again.

Combine honey and brown sugar in a sauce pan and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, to dissolve sugar. (I just left the heat lower and kept an eye on it until the honey was not crystallized anymore and brown sugar was dissolved). 

Combine oats, honey and brown sugar in a large bowl and stir until combined.  Transfer the granola mixture to the pan and press down to make a firm, even layer. Bake until golden brown 35-40 minutes. 

Cool in the baking sheet for 10-15 minutes then cut. Allow to completely cool. They won't be hard when you first take them out, they harden as they cool.  

Can be kept for 2 weeks. 

The original recipe has cinnamon, nuts and vanilla in it-so I suggest looking at that, too. She also says to spray the foil before putting the sugary mixture back on the pan, but I didn't have anything stick..so that's up to you.  


No comments:

Post a Comment