Triple Clicks

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

New Foods and Heat

Boy it's hot up here this year.  Usually we don't get this hot and humid until July or August, but man it's coming early.   

We are working on figuring out this new diet.  I have figured out I need more protein and carbs, it's just not enough for nursing.  But I'm starting to love salads.. And that broccoli salad? AMAZING! 

So let me share some of the foods we've been eating that we are loving. 

Broccoli Salad
2 heads of broccoli
1/2 red onion
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
cranberries
raisins
sunflower seeds
1/2 cup mayonnaise or miracle whip
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar

Chop everything into small bite size pieces-small, keep in mind what else is in the salad, I cut it too big the first time.  Shred your cheese and throw in the bowl with the broccoli (the recipe I found said to chop in small bites, I decided to shred), cut your onion and put in the bowl.  Put in the cranberries, raisins and sunflower seeds, I also substituted the cranberries and raisins for cherry tomatoes-good either way but the kids preferred the cranberries and raisins.  Mix it all together and make sure the amounts are even (or at least as even as you want them). In a separate bowl whisk the mayo, vinegar and sugar (if you want it less sweet, use about 2 tablespoons honey), then pour over the salad.  Now it's ready to eat.  :D This amount fed us for meal with a bit of left over.  

Grilled Chicken
Cut chicken breasts in half horizontal (you want two skinny breasts instead of one thick one).  Then season-I put tenderizer, garlic, onion, paprika on it-both sides.  You want to marinate for at least an hour. Obviously the longer it sits, the tastier it will be. Grill until done, about 20 minutes.  Now you can do whatever, eat plain, cut up for salads.  


Sriracha Lime Chicken
The link is what it's supposed to look like... 



That's what is turned out like. But still good. 
So here's what I did different. The chicken was marinated from the recipe above, it didn't fit on the grill over the weekend so needed cooked.  I cut the pineapple up. Used the onion stems from home grown red onion instead of the bulbs. I also just made a pesto with olive oil, white vinegar and cilantro instead of the vinaigrette recipe it comes with. The kids got raspberry vinaigrette and no avocado with hers. 

This is my other favorite.  I have a strict coffee shop budget-sad but true... So when I want to go and have to stick to my budget, I make my own iced coffee. About 8 ice cubes in a 12 ounce cup (I think, the one that came with our Bullet blender), add the flavoring hazelnut (liquid stevia from Azure Standard) and chocolate syrup, add coffee until about 1/2 full, then half as much milk-gotta leave room for blending. Blend and enjoy.  



Have a great week! 

~Tabitha

No comments:

Post a Comment