Triple Clicks

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Baby Quilt Time! Getting Ready for Baby 2018

This is sort of a bitter sweet post... More sweet in my opinion.  

We lost a baby in October.  Dennis was my lifeline, reminded me to look to God, made me talk to him (side effect of having a husband with a degree in psychology lol) and put me on Ashawagandha root (I can never spell that right!!!). (I think I just gave my 9th grade English teacher an anxiety attack for overuse of parenthesis in a horribly run on sentence.)  For whatever reason, God decided he needed our baby in Heaven.  

Thankfully, God gave us a new blessing.  

In the pregnancy world, the baby after you lose one is called a rainbow baby.  

In the Bible (Genesis 6-9), the rainbow is a promise of renewal.  A promise that God is still with us.  


As soon as I found out I was pregnant I knew I was going to be making a rainbow quilt of some sort for this baby... When I got to 10 weeks, I told Dennis I wanted to do this and why.  He said "Well... in the Bible a rainbow is a promise that God is always with us... so we should do something that incorporate Noah's Ark, too."  I am SO thankful for the way his mind works.  <3 


So I went on a hunt.  And what a hunt it was.  I wanted a big panel with a Noah's Ark theme, to be surrounded by the material my friend I lost in January gave me.  Partly because I already had the material, mostly because she grieved almost more than I did when we lost our angel in October.. then we lost her unexpectedly and I still grieve for her, though I know she's in a better place.   

I finally found what I was looking for at Hancock's of Paducah. I had no idea that finding Noah's Ark themed material was going to be so difficult!  The surrounding rainbow colored fabric is what I had from my dear friend.  We bought a light blue minky fabric for the backing from Joann's.  I love the minky fabric, I bought it for Hannah's quilt and knew that's what I wanted again.  We have extra batting from previous projects, so I didn't have to buy that.  

The cool thing about the minky, we hadn't ordered the panel from Hancock's yet.. We had decided to stay in town between church services one Sunday and went over to Joann's.. picked the blue that's gender neutral and hoped it matched.  IT MATCHES PERFECTLY!!!

Now... because I wanted it before July (baby will be here by September hopefully and I have a million other sewing projects), we bought it when we had the money... then forgot the coupon when we went to Joann's... so paid an arm and a leg for the minky.  OOF.  

We spent $60 on the quilt (mostly the minky as the panel was only $10 with shipping)-but it's really the only expense we're going to have with this little one.  Everything else is either hand me downs, or things I am sewing from patterns and fabric I already have.  

I am going to try machine quilting... but that's something I've never even attempted and it seems all of the tutorials I find say it's best to use some sort of a template.... SO.. if anybody has any ideas that don't involve more money spent, please pass them along because I have no idea what I'm doing. 

So here's how I laid the quilt out.  Yes, I know the quilt squares aren't "square" and the ends don't match up... but I have a plan and will do a bit more laying out before I sew.. This quilting stuff is still pretty new to me. Please excuse the mess, I just cleaned and vacuumed yesterday.. but.. well.. kids. lol




Have a great week! 

~Tabitha

No comments:

Post a Comment