Triple Clicks

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

All The Updates

 Well.... There's good news, and bad news. 


So let's start with the bad news.  We killed our tomatoes our 5 year old named Bob.  We forgot to water them.  

And our elderberries are apparently infested with some sort of worm....  So we'll be trimming those back once winter hits and watch them carefully next spring. 

That's all the bad news. 


So now for the fun part-the good news. 

We had some awesome help from people at church getting a lot of the yard cleaned up.  It was a huge blessing and I am grateful for all the help we received.  

The kids and I started taking the fence apart to make shelves.. Then the heat hit and we haven't been able to do much outside.  I just don't do well in the heat.   Thankfully it's been fairly easy to take apart the fence as the screws aren't stripped-just rusted.  So we can just use the drill to take most of the screws out.  

We've been doing a lot of cleaning and sorting inside.  I need to go back to Dollar Tree and get more containers.  I was able to get about halfway through the kitchen cupboards before I ran out-but that part of the kitchen is much more functional now.  I'm also putting fresh shelf liner down as I go through cupboards, that's a nice addition to appeal to the "pretty part"... especially since I'm missing a lot of doors. 😂

We are 3 weeks into our school year.. We've tweaked a few things, but are loving our modified Robinson Curriculum method.   I took out the Grammar and Writing-and just put the older two kids into older Grammar books so we can learn the basics... Then as they read more they will learn the writing, a long with practicing writing.   The Write Bonnie Rose history is a little more involved that I thought it would be-but then I looked on her website and realized she wrote it for teenagers-not elementary.  Oops.  But the kids are *mostly* having fun with it..  It requires me to stay close by and monitor computer usage as our encyclopedias are too old to answer the questions.  We also have to use Google Earth for the geography as we don't have paper maps or a globe that is detailed enough.  I took Eva out of the homemade math books and put her in Everyday Number Stories.. It's an old math book that was used in conjunction with the McGuffey readers.  She is excelling at that and when she gets through the book we'll start her on Saxon.   We'll just use my homemade books for extra review or practice as needed.  


I was extremely excited to find the Robinson Phonics Flashcards on the CDs.  I'm horrible at phonics, these cards (to me, at least) are worth their weight in gold.   They have the letter or blend on one side, then all the sounds that makes on the other.  They are now printed and laminated.  Andrew told me we need a bookshelf just for flashcards.  😂


On the shopping front.. Things are getting interesting again.. Our local stores are having problems getting shipments in.. The city stores are starting to enact mask policies again... Now, I can do many things.... But I CANNOT breath in a mask, I CANNOT get my grocery list taken care of and make sure the kids are not only behaving by staying near me, but are also keeping masks on "correctly".   I just can't do it all.    Not to mention-where are all the tortillas going?!?!?!   

Dennis ordered me a tortilla press.  I learned to make tortillas last year, and am getting back into it.  We love homemade tortillas but I struggle to keep them round when using just a rolling pin.   

I'm also making homemade noodles again.. Homemade are so much better than store bought.  We started making bread again-I pulled down my bread maker and put it back in action yesterday.  The kids loved the homemade bread with almond butter and strawberry jelly.  


We go shopping again Thursday, so I guess we'll see how things go.  


~Tabitha

No comments:

Post a Comment