Triple Clicks

Thursday, August 9, 2018

Preparing for a Home Birth Getting Ready for Baby 2018!


I'm getting closer to having baby.  So it's time to set things up. 

We are having baby at home, so instead of packing a hospital bag, I put everything I need into the baby's bed.  In this case, it's our playpen with the bassinet in it.   I tuck a crib sheet around the "mattress" part of the play pen..  Downstairs we have the bassinet, so I can move baby around with me into the kitchen if needed.  




Miscellaneous birthing supplies...  Sometimes it's just the little things you have to think about that you don't think about if you're in a hospital-because the nurses take care of it.  On the left, we have new scissors for cutting the umbilical cord, a few plastic table cloths to help protect the mattress (dollar store!), along with a few extra sheets ready to throw on the bed to make quick bed changes after wards...  When I go into labor, I'll do a few double layers on top of our clean sheet..  Chux pads, sheet, tablecloth.. Then when one layer is soiled, all we have to do (ok.. all hubby has to do) is strip off a layer and throw what's washable in the laundry and what's disposable in a trash bag and the bed is all ready for me to lay back down on.   I'll only need a few layers to change every few hours or so right after baby comes.  Not in this pile is a container and a baggie for the placenta along with the cord tie..  It's up there now, but I forgot that when I took pictures.  In the next pile is a whole bunch of chux pads.   Just another layer of protection.   And last (but not least).  A package of depends.  Don't laugh.  I didn't have these when I had Hannah... I have them this time and it will help so much..  that and I'm told these are more comfortable than those mesh panties and huge pads that are the norm. (don't mind the hangars on the bed, the girls were cleaning their room...) Also not in any of my pictures is towels. Those are easy access in the bathroom so not in with the rest of the birthing supplies.







A few more miscellany..  Shepherd's Purse tincture and all purpose nipple ointment.  The shepherd's purse is a just in case measure.  You take it right after the placenta delivers to help prevent any hemorrhaging.  The APNO..  I was introduced to this stuff when I had Andrew.  This bottle is leftover from when I had Eva.  SO much better than just lasinoh-especially when you have issues, but it's really expensive and you need a compound pharmacy. 




A few more miscellany..  The blanket I made, and a lighter blanket made by a lady at church. 





Everything is all organized so it's easy to get to.  I have the diapers and clothes in the baby's dresser just across the room.. but for the first few hours at least, it's best to be skin to skin with no clothes.. We'll lay a prefold or flatfold diaper around baby's bottom and a shirt or blanket over both of us for warmth and privacy as the kids meet baby.  But that's it.  Skin to skin is so beneficial for momma and baby.   It helps regulate baby's blood sugar and body temperature and gets the hormones going that are needed for milk production.  Also missing out of this that I have added today are my nursing night gowns.  A friend purchased them from GVS and I have been wearing them, but I want to make sure they are clean, so since we are getting close, they went in the bassinet as did my nursing pillow when I pulled the bassinet out of storage. 

When I had everything packed in, I covered the top with another crib sheet to keep out curious hands and keep everything clean for baby.  Last night the dog managed to pull the top sheet off, drag it downstairs, and cover it in pizza sauce from the one crust Hannah gave her. :/  Because. Life happens. lol 






A few more baby items.   These are not for our baby, but for a friend and for a cousin.  I knew if I didn't get them done before our baby came, they wouldn't get done at all-even though these two special ladies are due a few months after us.   A blanket, burp clothes (triple layered fleece) and some precious little booties.  




So we are all set up for baby.. We just wait on baby to make it's appearance. 

Check out my other posts on getting ready for baby. 
Cloth Diapers
Quilt Making


Have a great week! 

~Tabitha

No comments:

Post a Comment