Triple Clicks

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Beef Enchilada Skillet

A lot of recipes I have saved to try I have found on Pinterest, through an email (I am signed up for many recipe emails), through a blog or through a Facebook post. It did not occur to me to keep the web site I got it from because I never thought I'd have my own blog. So this particular recipe, I don't know where it came from other than somewhere on the internet. Please forgive me for not giving the author due credit, because I cannot.



Eating this came about because I did not check my recipe for Saulsbury Steak and I didn't have all the ingredients. So.. I started looking through my saved recipes to see what I could do with what I had on hand-another reason keeping a pantry stock spreadsheet is a good idea. 

I did change this recipe a little to match what I did have. I did not have green chiles, so I put a finely chopped onion in with the beef and garlic. With the tomato sauce, I added taco seasoning. I used flour tortillas-one whole, one tore in half. And I used just mozzarella cheese. 

Beef Enchilada Skillet
1 lb ground beef 
1/2 TBSP garlic, minced
4 oz can fire roasted green chiles
1 3/4 cup tomato sauce (14 oz can)
1 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp cumin powder 
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup lite shredded Mexican cheese, divided
2 corn (or flour) tortilla shells cut in half

In a medium bowl, add tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Mix until combined; set aside. 



Tomato Sauce Mixture





In a skillet add ground beef, garlic and cook until beef is no longer pink. Drain the fat. 



Add green chiles to beef, and half of the tomato mixture. Mix until combined. Top with 1/4 cup of cheese and then the tortilla shells. Add remaining tomato sauce and top with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese. 





Turn the heat down to medium-low ad cover. Cook until sauce starts to bubble and cheese is melted. 
Let it cool for a couple of minutes and serve. 
Topping Suggestions: Avocado, Greek yogurt, jalapenos, fresh tomatoes, hot sauce. 

Dennis didn't mind this recipe so much but said it taste more Italian than Mexican. The kids didn't eat much so they obviously didn't like it. General consensus says we won't be eating this again, but maybe one of you will like it. 

I make my own taco seasoning which I got Modern Alternative Mama. It's equal parts of chili seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and cumin. If you like more spice throw a little red pepper in there. 

My taco seasoning in an old yeast jar

No comments:

Post a Comment